Setting up and pairing your Spectacles
We strongly suggest you pair your Spectacles with your phone first thing — before you start capturing photos and videos (also known as “Snaps”). That way, you can easily back up your content on the fly and hit the ground running!
(We also suggest reading Spectacles’ Safety Warnings before using them, too.)
Pairing Spectacles for the first time
Before you pair Spectacles, be sure to:
- Verify that you’re using a compatible phone and OS
- Download the latest version of Snapchat for iOS or Android
- Log in to your Snapchat account or sign up for one
- Turn your phone’s Bluetooth on
Once that’s all squared away, you’re ready to pair. Watch this video to learn how:
If reading is more your speed, you can also follow these steps below:
- Put on your Spectacles.
- Open Snapchat and tap the Profile button in the upper-left corner.
- Tap the ⚙ button in the upper-right corner and then tap ‘Spectacles’.
- Press and hold either button on Spectacles for 7 seconds. The inner LEDs will flash white once, then flash yellow.
- Name the Spectacles whatever you’d like — this is how they’ll appear in your Bluetooth device list.
- You’ll be prompted to select the device in the Accessory List. Tap on the name you just wrote.
- Choose between enabling or disabling location data on Spectacles. This lets you to add some context to your Snaps — like the temperature outside, your current speed, or other location-based info of where your Snaps were taken.
This should be followed by a ‘Pairing Successful!’ confirmation message. You’ll now be set to capture Snaps, import Snaps, and review them in Memories.
Pairing additional Spectacles
You can pair multiple Spectacles to a single phone — but only one pair Spectacles can be active at a time. Only the active pair of Spectacles will be able to import Snaps to your Snapchat account or collect location data while capturing Snaps.
Pairing an additional pair of Spectacles to your account will disconnect any previously paired Spectacles.
Here’s how to switch between Spectacles:
- Open Snapchat and swipe up to Memories.
- Tap the Spectacles button in the upper-right corner.
- Tap ‘CONNECT’ on the Spectacles you’d like to connect to.
The Spectacles you disconnected should now show ‘Connected’ under their name. Keep in mind the Spectacles must be in close range to your phone in order to connect or reconnect.
If, for some reason, Spectacles become unpaired from your Snapchat account, just follow the same steps in the ‘Pairing Spectacles for the first time’ section above.
If you’re having trouble pairing
If you’re unable to pair or re-pair Spectacles to your Snapchat account, keep the following in mind:
- Spectacles need to have at least 10% battery life to pair
- Your phone’s Bluetooth must be turned on
- Your phone must be in close proximity to Spectacles
Still not pairing?
If your app is already up to date, try turning Bluetooth off, and powering off your phone. Wait 1 minute, then power your phone back on. When your phone has powered on again, turn Bluetooth on as well. Then, follow the steps in the ‘Pairing Spectacles for the first time’ section above.