Next Generation Spectacles are equipped with built-in GPS and GLONASS that allow them to capture location-based information whenever you take a photo or video.
By default, location data will not be captured on next generation Spectacles until you enable it. Enabling location data will allow you to add location-based Lenses, stickers, filters and more! This will also allow Memories to automatically sort your Snaps based on where they were taken.
When you first set up and pair your new Spectacles to your Snapchat account, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to enable location data. If you opted to not enable it when pairing, you can always manually enable it later in Snapchat.
Here’s how to enable location data:
- Open Snapchat and swipe up to Memories.
- Tap the Spectacles button in the upper-right corner.
- Tap on your Spectacles under the ‘MY SPECTACLES’ section.
- Toggle ‘Enable Location’ ON under the ‘DEVICE SETTINGS’ section.
You can follow the same steps above to disable this feature if you ever change your mind. Location data will only be captured alongside Snaps captured with Spectacles when this is enabled — it won’t affect Snaps you capture with the Snapchat camera.
Next generation Spectacles do not require your phone to be near you when you capture photos and videos. The built-in GPS, from time to time, will automatically update its location through Snapchat. Make sure to enable location services for Snapchat on your phone to get the full benefit!
If your imported Snaps are showing incorrect Geofilters or location tags...
- The built-in GPS may have been unable to find your location while you captured those Snaps. When this happens, it will associate them with the next available location you captured Snaps in.
- Spectacles may not be able to capture location data. When this happens, Snaps will be assigned the location based on where you were when you imported them to your phone, instead of where they were captured.
Keep in mind that location data does not need to be enabled to use next generation Spectacles.